[roc-info] Scrooge-O, TODAY!!! ...times?

Richard Detwiler RLShadow at aol.com
Sat Dec 6 10:43:36 EST 2008

My apologies for yet one more e-mail about the Scooge-O!

Some of you may have heard of screw shoes. I know that some ROC'ers have
tried screw shoes and use them.

If anyone wants to have some shoes (or boots) made into screw shoes, I
will have the materials (screws) and tool (drill) at the Scrooge-O.
(Enough screws for probably 10 pairs of shoes, anyway.)

Here's an excellent description of what screw shoes are:
http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

They are absolutely outstanding on ice or hard-packed snow. I like them
way better than YakTrax, and they are far cheaper. Plus, if anyone is
walking/running on a combination of slick surfaces and bare paved
surfaces, screw shoes are far more pleasant on the latter than YakTrax.

They are also helpful while orienteering, in a couple of ways. First of
all, they provide excellent traction when stepping on fallen trees,
which can often be extremely slick. Second, they help with traction on
relatively firm muddy terrain. (Although they aren't much help on very
wet mud, where feet are sinking in an inch or two.)

So if you want to try screw shoes, bring a pair of shoes that you want
converted to screw shoes, and I'll provide the screws (no charge,
they're cheap), the drill, and even do the operation for you if you'd
like (it's fast, easy, and pleasant).

Probably the best time in the evening to do this would be after the
Scrooge-O, during the main event of Dessert.

Dick Detwiler