[roc-info] August 2nd Meet - Genesee Valley Park

Randall McGarvey Randall.McGarvey at alum.rit.edu
Thu Jul 31 10:20:13 EDT 2008

The next ROC event will take place on Saturday, August 2nd, at Red Creek
shelter in Genesee Valley Park. The shelter is located on the south side
of I-390. Access to this area of the park is best from East River Road.
If coming from the west on I-390, exit at the East River Road/West
Henrietta Road exit and take a right onto East River Road. Take the
first entrance into the park on the right. Follow the orienteering signs
to parking. From the east on I-390, take the East Henrietta/West
Henrietta Road exit, and go straight though the intersections at each of
these roads to get onto East River Road. Again, take the first right
into the park. There will be a bit of a walk to the shelter from the
parking area.

Please note that that there is an early start for this meet. There will
be a mass start at 10:00 AM for the 1-hour Score-O. The White course
will be open from 10:05 to 11:00 and the Sprint course starts will be
from 11:00 to 11:30. This will allow everyone to run two courses if they
want.

After your sprint, please join us for an informal hot-dog cook-out. ROC
will provide hot-dogs, buns and condiments. A dish to pass is not a
requirement, but is always welcome.

Course Setter Notes:

Three courses will be offered for this meet. Score-O, White and Sprint
courses. Expect lots of open field and trail orienteering for all
courses. Don't expect mud unless it is raining. Climbs during courses
are insignificant. Please respect the boundaries of the golf course. All
three courses are designed around the golf course. If you find yourself
running on fairways and greens you are off the course. Runners on
Score-O course - beware of the light traffic while crossing or running
on River Road.

Courses descriptions:
Score-O. Easy control placement suited for beginners and strong runners.
White. Length of the course is 1.9KM with total of 7 controls.
Sprint. Length of the course is 2.3KM with total of 8 controls.

Rob Holmes