[roc-info] Paddle-o course notes

Rick and Dayle Lavine rdlavine at frontiernet.net
Sat May 22 13:56:38 EDT 2010

Paddle-O 5/23 2010 Course Notes

The course will be a score-o with a 2 1/2 hour time limit. There are 19
controls, each worth 1 point, which can be taken in any order. There
will be a one point penalty for each minute late. Competitors will be
ranked in C1,C2, K1, and K2 classes first by the number of points, and
in case of ties, by time. Those not interested in competing can just get
any collection of points they wish, but please return within the time
limit. We traditionally give a bonus for trash pickup. There was
recently a park pickup, and we haven't noticed much on the water, but
two minutes will be subtracted for each gallon of trash brought in.

About half of the controls are on the water. For the rest, you will have
to get out of the boat. Good landing sites are indicated on the map by a
black triangle pointing inland, but you may find others. The land
controls are located not too far from trails, but the terrain is quite
hilly, so wear appropriate shoes.

Teams may split up, for example one can get land controls while the
other moves the boat, but there is only one punch card.

Swans and geese can be aggressive, but the ones we've seen don't seem to
pay much attention. It may look tempting to bushwhack across swamps, but
this is not advisable. There is a significant current in the southern
part of the main (western) stream. The water is very shallow in places,
but there is usually a deeper part, often but not always near the outer
part of a curve.

Rick Lavine