[roc-info] Orienteering this Sunday

Rick and Dayle Lavine rdlavine at frontiernet.net
Mon Jan 10 21:49:16 EST 2011

We have an orienteering event scheduled this Sunday, Jan 16, as part of
Winterfest at Hopkins Point lodge in Mendon Ponds Park. In keeping with
the policy of Winterfest, there will be no charge.

It appears that skiing will be possible. At present the trails are
covered, but some roots and rocks are showing, so "rock skis" are in
order. The temperature is supposed to stay well below freezing, and some
snow is predicted for Wednesday. Most of the trails we will be using are
not groomed for skating, and some are narrow. Ski-o courses will be
offered for ESG classes: male and female scholastic, elite, masters and
veterans, as well as recreational. There will also be a score-o for
snowshoers.

Starts are 12-1:30, with registration from 11-1:30. Controls will be
picked up at 3:30, so start early if you think you may take a long time!

We need help in all categories; registration, start/finish,
refreshments, control pickup. Volunteers will have time to do a course.

To get to Hopkins Point Lodge, from Clover Street (65)  take the
northern entrance and then take the first right turn. (The second
entrance is closed in winter.)

Rick and Dayle Lavine, meet directors