[roc-info] Dryer Road Meet, Sunday 5/22

wornerkohn at aol.com wornerkohn at aol.com
Thu May 19 21:20:25 EDT 2011

 The next orienteering meet is on Sunday, May 22.  Starts are from 12-2pm.  It looks to be a beautiful day to spend in the woods!  Below is a brief description of the park and the meet notes from Jim Russell.

  The main park is dominated by one huge hill with lots of reentrants, most of which is open woods that is quite runnable.  There are several large open/rough open areas.  The trail network is very intense since this is a mountain bike park...lots of squiggles that are really hard to map and even harder to read.  I think Dick did a great job of getting them on the map and as  readable as possible.  Of course that was last year so there may be some changes.  The Gonandagan part is very similar but without the one big hill and without the MB trails.

Linda described the park well in her post.  It's two hills with a maze of trails.  There are quite a few open areas, and the grass is generally low, making them very easy to cross.  The woods are mostly open, but the boundaries are generally green - regardless of how they are mapped.  In spite of all the rain, I found very few wet areas today.  (It did pour right as I got in the car so who knows?)

Course Lengths:
white          1.6K      11 controls
yellow         1.8K       9 controls
orange        3.3K      10 controls
brown         4.2K      12 controls
green          5.2K      10 controls
red              6.9K      13 controls

The white (and quite possibly yellow) course is of above average difficulty.
The trail maze makes it quite challenging to set these courses in this park.

For the rest of the courses --- think ski-O!

Jim Russell
Course Setter