[roc-info] Highlights of the ROC BOD Meeting

Randall McGarvey randall.mcgarvey at alum.rit.edu
Mon Feb 13 13:03:16 EST 2012

Here are the highlights from the recent Rochester Orienteering Club Board of
Directors meeting.  These notes will also be available on the facebook page
at: https://www.facebook.com/groups/RochesterOrienteeringClub/

Highlights of the ROC BOD Meeting

February 7, 2012

Current membership of ROC is162 members.

The 2012 Schedule is ready to go to print. Negotiations are pending with the
BFLO to provide a training weekend for ROC members and guest clubs. We are
offering some exciting new events this year such as an Urban Park Challenge
and more Trail Challenges. Rob Stevens is coordinating ROC training
activities that will augment the regular club schedule and will be posting
details. On March 3rd ROC will host clinics including course setting and
electronic punching at Cornell Cooperative Extension. Mike Lyons will be
holding an Orienteering Sports Camp sponsored by Webster Parks & Recreation.
Laurie Hunt, Karl Kolva, and Linda Kohn are doing training with Rush
Henrietta staff and students for their summer program.

A new Safety Plan has been developed and will go into effect this year.
Procedures for safety and emergency situations will be incorporated into our
meet registration process and posted at meets. We will keep everyone
informed of the details as our season opens.

We are taking inventory and revising our data base to maintain the most
current versions of our maps. As weather improves work will continue on the
mapping at Genesee Country Village Nature Center. We now have access to
LIDAR data, which will make it easier to create and update maps.

Permanent Courses finishers were approximately half the usual number this
year. Map sales have been good through the Map Shop, Wild Wings and Friends
of Letchworth. We will develop a semi-permanent course at Dryer Road this
season. Details to follow. We will look into Hyatt's Art Supply as a source
for map printing and sales. ROC is putting in a bid to host an A Meet at
Letchworth East in 2013. This will require map updates. We can look forward
to an exciting event next year.

Some of ROC's electronic equipment is in need of repair or upgrade. The BOD
will make decisions for replacing equipment and purchasing carrying cases as
needed. Meet boxes and meet forms are being brought up to date.

Steve Tylock's efforts with the D & C have paid off in increased visibility
for our club. We are investigating other ways to promote the club including
advertising in publications and creating brochures that target specific
groups. Karl Kolva will be featured in a local publication this month.

We will continue with our popular T shirt program for volunteers next
season! You can earn your exclusive ROC shirt by helping us with our events.
Contact Sandra Lomker , Volunteer Coordinator, for more information.