[roc-info] Trail Run Volunteers

SandraLomker slomker at frontiernet.net
Sat Oct 24 22:30:31 EDT 2015

Hi Everyone,

MD Brian Thomas just sent me the list of volunteers needed for the Annual
Trail Run at Mendon Ponds Park on Saturday, November 7.  Since this is ROC’s
biggest money maker for the year and we will need many volunteers.  Please
let me know if you can help either for the entire day or just for a portion
of the day.  I am pasting the whole line up so please look below and get
back to me asap.  I will add a few comments in red below.

Thanks, Sandra slomker at frontiernet.net

Meet Director: Brian Thomas

Course Setters (Friday): Brian Thomas - need 2-3 more here -  Rick W, are
you able to help here?

Registration: 7-8 Need 2; 8:00-9:30 Need 3 – I am assuming Dick Detwiler
will be here for most of the time, still needed 1 more for 7-8 and 2 more
for 8-9:30

Registration

1 Greeter directs participants to proper registration line.  Start area is
just outside of Stewart Lodge.  Bathrooms are open and available nearby.
Drop bags in the shelter near the parking lot.  All participants should
sign-in on the waiver.  Hand bibs to participants.  If any participants want
to change from a shorter distance to 50k, they have to pay the difference
between what they paid already and the late reg price ($45).  There are
usually very few if any people who switch to 50k.  Changing from 50k to a
shorter race or among the 10k/20k/30k races can be done without charge (no
refunds for drops from 50k).  All changes should be recorded on change sheet
to be given to timing staff.

Parking: 8:30-9:30 Need 1 if possible

Parking

Parking volunteer should stand at end of entrance road to beach parking lot
to monitor flow of traffic.  Once lot is full, people should park on right
side only of exit road and entrance road.  It will probably be easiest to
direct people to exit road first, then start moving up the hill, lining up
cars up the entrance road starting from the bottom.  There is also parking
on Douglasbetween exit and entrance road, but the spot near the fire hydrant
should be kept clear.  The road in front of Stewart should be reserved for
the end (this is the "volunteer parking area" which hopefully this won't
need to be used by participants at all).  Our meet signs will be put up to
direct cars into the Beach lot.

Start/Finish/Aid Station: Need 2 8:45 - 1, One 1- 3:30

Start/Finish Aid Station

There won't be much action here until just before 9:00AM.   Have cups of
water, Heed, ginger ale, and coke for runners to drink.  Hammer Heed branded
cups should be used for Heed only (this is a request from Hammer Nutrition).
There are bowls and plates for cookies, pretzels, candy, etc.  If possible,
assist runners in re-filling their bottles.  Since this aid station is right
after the drop bag area, it is usually much less busy than the kennel
station.

Start/Finish Line Volunteer - Need 1 all day or split the day between 2.

Most important: record and give to timing staff any DNF's or dropdowns.  We
need to know who is leaving before their scheduled distance.  Direct
finished runners to Stewart Lodge using the door facing the bathrooms -
runners will need to continue straight ahead around the lodge and we want to
get finished runners out of the way ASAP.  The food and drink are in the
lodge, so direct them that way.  Make sure runners who use the bathroom have
crossed the start/finish line before going to the bathroom - the course is
designed so this should be the logical action, but sometimes people don't
think logically after running for several hours. As results are printed out,
deliver or have someone else deliver them to the cork board in the lodge.

Kennel Aid Station/Carol’s Café:  Carol, Are you able to help this year?

Need 2 8:15 - 10:00, 4 10:00 - 12:00, 2 12:00 - 4:15

Kennel Aid Station

Tables, food, drink, tent will be delivered prior to race.   Have cups of
water, Heed, ginger ale, and coke for runners to drink.  Hammer Heed branded
cups should be used for Heed only (this is a request from Hammer Nutrition).
There are bowls and plates for cookies, pretzels, candy, etc.  If possible,
assist runners in re-filling their bottles.

Road Crossing: Need 1 at 8:00 then 1 8:40 - 4:30 (this can also be split)

Road Crossing

Runners will be crossing from both directions.  In pre-race instructions,
they will be told that marshals do not have the ability to stop traffic and
that they should stop if told.  Ultimately, it is up to the runner to cross
safely.  Those leaving for a loop will stay to the left after crossing,
heading up the access road before making a left onto the blue trail. Those
returning will also stay to the left, crossing the road and re-entering the
field near the gate to the access road.  I will be heavily marking this area
and mentioning this in start instructions, but runners may need a little
verbal assistance the first time around..  (Note: The parks dept does not
have the key to open this fence.  The fence is "owned" by the water
authority).

Food (Stewart Lodge): Need 2 until 1 PM, 1 until 5 PM -  Linda, are you able
to help here again?

Food will be ready after each participant has completed his/her run.

Course Sweeper - I have someone who has volunteered to sweep the course

Clean-up - Need 1-2 helpers from 4:00 - 6:00

Thanks again to ALL volunteers.  Let’s make this another successful day

Sandra