[roc-info] News from the Rochester Orienteering Club

Laurie Hunt hunt.laurieanne at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 10:43:04 EST 2016

Greetings, orienteering friends!
With Spring upon us the board of ROC has been hard at work planning for
this year's events. If you are a member you will soon be receiving your
2016 schedule and newsletter in the mail. Please check your mailing label,
as your membership may be up for renewal at this time.

There are two upcoming workshops you should know about.

On March 19th from 10am-noon, Linda Kohn will be giving at class at her
home on setting courses for orienteering, geared for those who can complete
an "Orange" orienteering course or higher.

On April 19th we will be offering a class for new orienteers at Fleet Feet
at the Armory, with classroom instruction and practice in Cobb's Hill Park.

Details for these events at roc.us.orienteering.org,
https://www.facebook.com/RochesterOrienteeringClub/ and
http://www.meetup.com/Rochester-Orienteering-Club/events/229342278/.
Or call the ROC Hotline at 585-377-5650.

Please share this information if you know someone who would be interested!

Did you know that ROC is an all volunteer organization? We need your help!
Our meets are the result of many hours of planning, mapping, equipment
toting, and people working together to make it happen. If you would be
willing to help you can sign up at roc.us.orienteering.org and click on
"volunteers". Your paid membership helps us to pay for park permits,
equipment, maps, and more while keeping meet fees low.

Finally, one challenge for our club has been filling the essential role of
meet director for each meet. There has been some discussion within the
board about creating a paid position for a season-long meet director and/or
equipment manager. This person would not have to be an orienteer but would
be committed to transporting and setting up the meets and managing the
events. We decided to share this problem with you and ask for input or
interest. Please contact me at hunt.laurieanne at gmail.com if you'd like to
know more as this conversation evolves.

We look forward to seeing you soon, with an exciting season of orienteering!
Laurie Hunt
ROC President 2016