[roc-info] Permanent Courses and Map Hikes

RWorner LKohn wornerkohn at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 21:21:48 EDT 2017

Orienteers,

The Permanent Course Committee met last weekend to discuss maintaining and
marketing our permanent courses.

Currently, we have courses at Mendon, Durand-East, Durand-West, Webster and
Letchworth-West. These maps can be used to find control sites in a random
fashion or to design your own courses for practice. Permanent courses are
available at all meets or by contacting Nancy Burgey at Nburgey at gmail.com
The cost is $8 and the mailing is free to members.

The committee would also like to encourage members to design and install
map hikes in some of our other parks such as Powder Mill, Highland, Black
Creek, Genesee Valley, Irondequiot Bay (East and West), Oatka and Ellison.

The club has 4"x4" orange and white plastic markers that can be attached to
a tree or bush with string or plastic fence tie. Once you finish  designing
and marking your course it can be posted on the club website for others to
access as a member benefit. If you need a map or help with formatting a map
please contact Linda at wornerkohn at gmail.com for assistance.

This is also great practice for some of you who aspire to do some course
setting in the future.

When Spring finally arrives permanent courses and map hikes are a great way
to get ready for the regular season.

Enjoy the woods!

Nancy Burgey, Stephen Brooks, Don Winslow, Mike Alexander & Rick Worner