[roc-info] Orienteering at Genesee Country Museum - This Sunday!

Don Winslow reroteacher at rochester.rr.com
Wed Oct 24 21:31:02 EDT 2018

Location: The Nature Center at the Genesee Country Museum

Starts: 12 noon - 2pm

Courses offered:

Beginner - 1.8 km

Intermediate - 3.0 km

Advanced Short - 4.1 km

Advanced Long - 6.5 km

The woods are wide open in most places with some interesting rock and water features.  The map is relatively flat with a few small hills.  This is a great family friendly location because we are starting at the Nature Center so there is nice and warm indoor space with bathrooms.  There are also lots of trails for the beginner course.  The map scale is 1:5,000 with 2.5 meter contours.

The advanced courses will enjoy the open forest with some intricate rock features and minor contour detail.  The Advanced Long will have a map exchange.  SIAC users AIR+ mode will be active.

Come play in the woods!

>From the GCVM website:

Genesee Country Village & Museum is in the town of Mumford, just minutes off NYS Thruway Exit 47. We’re 20 miles southwest of Rochester and 45 miles east of Buffalo.

GPS/Internet searches:
By address: 1410 Flint Hill Road, Mumford, NY
By name: depending on your GPS system, use Genesee Country Village & Museum or Genesee Country Museum

>From Rochester:
Take Scottsville Road (Route 383) south to Mumford. Or take I-490 west to Churchville-Mumford (Exit 3). Then take Route 36 south to Mumford.

>From the Finger Lakes and the South:
Take I-390 north to Avon (Exit 10), turn left onto Route 5. Then go west to Caledonia and make a soft right onto Route 36 north to Mumford.

>From the East:
Take Exit 46 off the NYS Thruway. Follow I-390 south to Avon (Exit 10); turn right onto Route 5; go west to Caledonia, and at traffic circle in Caledonia turn right onto Route 36 north to Mumford.

>From Buffalo and the West:
Take NYS Thruway I-90 East to Exit 47. Follow Route 19 toward LeRoy. Follow the green signs with a left on North Street, a right on Route 36, a right at Route 383 into Mumford.