[roc-info] Orienteering this weekend

James Russell jrussel1 at rochester.rr.com
Wed May 7 22:07:12 EDT 2008

Once again we have orienteering this weekend, back at Mendon Ponds Park

On Saturday in the Scout Field near Hopkins point, we will have a Youth
focused event with training and practice courses.  This event is
expressly for the scout units looking for an orienteering experience.
There will be opportunities to take a course with an experienced
orienteer and learn some of the skills of orienteering while on a real
(although short) course.  Full length white, yellow and orange courses
will be available for practicing these skills in the afternoon.
Registration will start about 8:30 with instruction starting about
9:00.  Each instructional course will take about an hour.

There will be a patrol or group score-O event on Sunday morning to put
those skills learned on Saturday to good use.
We are calling this the Genessee Valley Scout Orienteering Championships
to put a little pizzaz into things.

We will also hold a regular meet Sunday afternoon, with White, Yellow,
Orange, Green and Red courses available.
The Orange, Green and Red courses will utilize e-punching.

Hope to see you this weekend
Jim Russell
Course Setter