[roc-info] Orienteering this Sunday

Sergey Dobretsov dobretsov at yahoo.com
Tue May 26 21:03:02 EDT 2009

>From the desk of R.Victor Klassen, course setter:

Sunday, May 31st, we will have a meet at Abraham Lincoln Park, formerly known as Irondequoit Bay Park East.  We will start near the parking lot of the BayView Y, in Webster, off Bay Rd, just north of Empire.   NOTE: Much of the open field behind the Y is a construction site; we are starting at or near the picnic shelter to the south-west of the main YMCA building.

There will be five courses:

White, at 1.5 km, 7 controls, with 55 m climb;
Yellow, at 2.7 km, 11 controls, 220 m climb;
Orange, at 4.0 km, 14 controls, 335 m climb;
Brown, at 3.9 km, 8 controls, 340 m climb;
Green, at 4.6 km, 14 controls, 510 m climb.

Thanks to Dick Detwiler for many updates to the map.

Be prepared to encounter poison ivy.  With care, on White you should be able to avoid contact.  On any other course, you really should wear long pants, as it encroaches into many trails.   The mosquitoes haven't been too bad yet, but that might change.