[roc-info] Orienteering this weekend

Rick and Dayle Lavine rdlavine at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 30 22:19:46 EDT 2009

Now that Steve has gotten everybody fired up, here are the details about this weekend's orienteering. The meet starts at the Parade Grounds on the southeast side of Letchworth Park. From 390, take the Mt Morris exit, turn left in the town and then right on 408. Look for a sign announcing Brooks Grove, and turn right on Short Tract Rd. Follow this road to a T intersection with 436, and turn right on 436. ( If you miss Short Tract, 408 eventually joins 436.) Turn right at the park entrance. This entrance has no admission fee. The Parade grounds are about 750 meters on the left.

There are bathrooms, running water and a shelter. (The water apparently has been found not to meet the official standards, but they say it is safe unless you have a compromised immune system.) There is a large mowed field with picnic tables and a playground.

There will be 6 courses:
White 2 km, yellow 2.2 km., orange 4.6 km., brown 3.9 km, green 4.8 km, red 6.3 km. The orange is long, but its navigation is less challenging than the brown, green and red. We will not be e-punching. The courses visit some very nice terrain, some of which we haven't used before.

IMPORTANT: All courses go close to the gorge, which does not have a fence on this side. The trails used by the courses are safe, but children and pets should not go on these trails unless you can trust them to stay on the trail and not engage in horseplay. There are some spectacular views into the gorge, especially on the white and yellow courses, if you go carefully to the edge at the lookout points.

I suppose anybody competing in the club series already knows the classes, but as a reminder: up to 12: white; up to 14: yellow; up to 16: orange; up to 18: green, any age: red, 40 or over: green,  60 or over: brown.

Rick and Dayle