[roc-info] ROC Sprint Series standings, through the Black Creek meet

Richard Detwiler RLShadow at aol.com
Fri Aug 13 17:00:08 EDT 2010

Attached are the updated Sprint Series standings, as of the Black Creek
meet.

Steve Tylock put together the following summary of the competition to date:

With four out of six Club Sprint Series Championship races completed, it
looks like a good year for competition.  While several brackets have one
or just a few entrants, the Female Open, Men's Open, and Mens 45+
brackets have good numbers - and still look winnable by several
different competitors.

We'll start with the Female Open bracket - where Elspeth Ronnander and
Stina Bridgeman are fighting for the top.  Elspeth has the advantage
with four events to Stina's three, but Stina has an edge in points per
event.  With two remaining, Stina is looking to pick up another good
finish, and Elspeth is looking to improve on one of her earlier results
and upgrade her total.

When we switch to the Men's Open, there's quite a few points at the top!
Rob Holmes holds the lead with two solid finishes augmented with meet
director and course setter averaged replacements. (Thank you Rob, but
make sure you get out and race these last two as you can't average in a
third!-) Nate Lyons appears to be sitting behind Rob - and if Nate pulls
in another big total in one of these last two remaining races it'll be
all over!  Inquiring minds are wondering if school beckons before these
last races appear on the calender.

With more than a dozen participants, the field is quite full. Vince
Cassano and Mike Lyons are poised behind Nate and Rob, though
challenging for the top position might be just out of their reach.  I
expect each will be trying to improve on their results over these last
two races.

The Male 45+ bracket appears to have some of the closest competition
with three competitors each having completed three races separated by
less than three points! (how do they do this - I don't know!) Dick
Detwiler, Carl Palmer, and Pete Dady lead the group, and each one has
finished ahead of others in at least one race.  This year's new scoring
system is doing its part in keeping every option open - and these final
two sprints will play a crucial role in settling things.

Well - there you have it - we hope to see you out at Powder Mills Park
on August 21st and then at the exciting conclusion of the series at
Highland Park on National Orienteering Day, September 18th.