[roc-info] Meet at Irondequoit Bay Park West, Saturday, Oct 15

Steven Tylock stylock at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 22:45:32 EDT 2011

This Saturday we host a regular meet at Irondequoit Bay Park West (IBPW).
This event is the 5th in ROC's club series and offers White, Yellow, Orange,
Brown, Green, and Red courses.

Starts will run from noon until 2pm, and the courses will close at 4pm.

Parking is at the main lot immediately to the West of the Irondequoit Bay
Fish and Game Club. Please take care to park efficiently, and once the lot
is full park only on the North and East sides of the road (to avoid cars
parking on both sides of this narrow street). We will have the use of a
portable restroom (no permanent facilities on site). We will supply water
for participants, but the site lacks a source of drinking water; you won't
be able to fill water bottles at a nearby spigot as is often available.

Courses offered:
White 1.1 km, 65m
Yellow 2.0 km, 110m
Orange 2.6 km, 110m
Brown 2.7 km, 130m
Green 4.8 km, 250m
Red 7.5 km, 380m

L1 2.7 km, 130m
L2 2.7 km, 150m
L3 2.1 km, 100m

The park fits completely on 8 1/2 x 11 paper at a 7,500:1 scale with room
for the legend, so we're making the most of the terrain. We've constructed
the event similar to our May meet in Mendon by employing several shorter
loops.

The Red course will run loops L1, L2, and L3. Green will run L2 and L3, and
Brown will run L1. Red and Green participants should finish, download, and
rest before clearing and heading back out onto the next loop, All
participants will have the same opportunity to rest between, but starts for
subsequent loops should happen before 2pm. For this event, please compete in
the loops in order, L1 before L2, and L2 before L3. (Brown and Green are
welcome to run on the additional loops after completing their required loops
if time permits)

Dick Detwiler has recently updated the map due to the addition of many bike
trails, and these are worth a note. There are many trails - all over. Taking
the time to follow a trail may not make sense, and given the falling of
leaves, you may cross a trail in these open woods without realizing it.

Because the park is relatively small, we have placed controls closer
together than normal. You should not find a control on the same feature as
yours within 90m, but do check control numbers to verify you are at the
proper control. White does not, but other courses will pass controls not on
the course - don't be distracted.

White (in particular): This course will have more climb than normal, but
will compensate by being shorter in length. You will be rewarded for the
climb with some great views.

All other courses will be somewhat shorter, but include more climb than
normal, and the advanced courses allow for resting between loops.

Difficulty: The park is dominated by a creek that runs through the center,
and I've tried to offer the most challenging navigation exercises possible
for loops 1-3. In some situations, you will be challenged to find the
optimal route where the direct challenge of navigation may not be quite as
difficult.

I hope you enjoy this.

Steve Tylock, course setter