[roc-info] Winter Training

RWorner LKohn wornerkohn at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 12:29:01 EST 2018

Orienteers,
Happy New Year !

So far it looks like a pretty open winter. Please find attached a map of
the Men's Elite Course from the World Deaf Championships in 2015.  The
course was designed by Sergey Dobretsov and takes advantage of the most
technical terrain at Mendon Ponds. The contours are very visible in the
winter and most of the ground vegetation is gone. The start and the
controls are marked with red plastic tags (3" x 5") attached to small trees
and branches. The tags have numbers.

The course will remain in place for the winter.  We may reconfigure it
later in the winter if the current one gets a lot of use. You could design
your own course using the same markers in a different order.

The winning time on the course was Ukrainian, Tomas Kuzminskis in 33:15.
You are welcome to send in your time and we will post them on the website.
It would be great to know that you completed the course even if you don't
want to post a time. Just touch the tag and keep on moving.

The finish is at Calvary Lodge so you can park there, use the bathroom if
needed and jog north on Canfield road to the start.

Have fun and count the contours when planning your routes.

Thanks again to Sergey for designing the course.

Linda & Rick